Thursday, January 5, 2012

The circle of Rock



I have been finding a string of great photos that were taken by the lovely and talented Dara Blumenhein, waaaaayyyyyyy back in 2001 at Cherokee Studios. It reminded me of something I wrote back in February 2008:



The Circle of Rock


If you didn't know of it- It was music in time. A University. A Palace of Rock N Roll. The bathrooms whispered stories and the halls felt their spirits chill. Cherokee Studios was one of the oldest recording studios in Hollywood. A dinosaur that now has become extinct. Leveled. One with the earth, as rock should be.

I worked there. A lot of us worked there. Most times for free, because it was just so fucking cool to be there. An Artist in the L.A. music scene could ask for no less. Studio Time. Free. Yep that is why most of us worked there, because we would fill our belly's with recording time.

I met most of you there... and if I didn't then somehow, someway it still goes back to Cherokee. It is kind-of like our own musicians Kevin Bacon game. It was a great time all of us had. Lots of stories to make a young girls toes nails curl.

I replaced Rachael. How is that? She let me know it was a lot of responsibility to be 'The Girl' at Cherokee. I was scared shitless. The next day, Adrian walks in and tells me Tom Petty is coming in to record the next day. I know I pooped my pants then... ((( And then there was the time when we surprised Ilse with Gene Simmons. I called Rach. She called Ilse. She stopped by unknowingly wearing a KISS patch. I have never seen her eyes get that big.

That was Cherokee. You got used to it, and learned how to hold your own. Then you have a party one night and you meet more musicians that are just like you... And you realize that you have a family. A rock family to call your very own. We all took everything we could soak up from that place and went out into the streets and stages and learned how to use it all.

They leveled the place, I don't even know when. Just one day I was driving down Fairfax and it was gone. I had to look again. But no, it was gone. I talked to Adrian the other day and he told me about Dee.

So here is to you- the Brothers FOREVER three... Thank you for the lessons in rock Robbs! And Susan and Gramps too.

I will be forever grateful of your kindness through the years.

B
Tommie V

No comments:

Post a Comment